Thursday, May 9, 2013

Punk Lovin' Met Gala faves

The Met gala happened Monday, and I have been sitting on this post a couple of days. The theme was punk, and what a DREAM. It's funny to see starlets with no punk in them do a terrible job of trying to interpret it (Jessica Biel's fake septum ring...?)

I think Anna Wintour could have made more of an effort, as co-chair of the event and she wore a short-sleeved long flower-print dress. Punk? Direct quote: "The curator of the exhibition told me that the colour of punk is pink so I'm in pink by Chanel." Really? One of the most undisputed directors of the world of style had so little opinion on what constitutes punk? And she said on the red carpet of The Great Gatsby that everyone intimidates her. She is actually a vulnerable girl playing a part sometimes methinks.... Enough of that, some people really killed it. Here are some of my faves.

Tommy and Dee Hilfiger with Marky Ramone! Yah yah. Dee got it. Debbie Harry also wore Tommy and rocked it.


This is a starlet example. Punk, or glam rock? I envy their legs though and they look fantastic in Atelier Versace and Balmain. 


Allison Williams in Altuzarra with Joseph Altuzarra the designer. Wish her hair were more severe and daring but the dress is perfect.


Kristen Stewart and Stella McCartney in same. Pantsuit, attitude, looking slightly stoned. Yes these girls are definitely punk. Stella's simple black and mussed-up hair is way more punk than many who tried too hard and failed.


Lily Cole gives chills. In Vivienne Westwood. Whoa. 


Love Dakota Fanning's Rodarte dress but if she had put her hair up and applied some super dark eyes or lipstick  (or both) she would've nailed it.


Taylor Swift in J. Mendel went for a similar gown and went for it more with the eyes makeup and crimped hair.


Ginnifer Goodwin's makeup and hair kills, but the dress is not punk. If only you could mix and match.


Rosie Huntington-Whitely actually channelled punk/dark rebel to me. Her breasts are not well-featured in this Gucci number but other than that she does the goth-y thing well.


This is so punk to me. Joshua Jackson in this Dior suit reminds me of the SLC punk scene where they say the straight-laced looking nerdy punks are the most hardcore of all, and that's what I get from this. And Diane Kruger in this Chanel, with the sheer almost choking her, is awesome. I love the pink tips of her hair that you can't see in this picture unfortunately.


I feature Gisele in this Anthony Vaccarello because when I first saw this collection I remember thinking I loved the edge, and with the carpet awash in Givenchy I was happy to see this designer there. And short which is a great statement. She shoulda gone more dramatic with updo and makeup however her locks are glorious...


And I've just found that Anja Rubik wore him too, figures only supermodels... And she channels punk much better.


I was waiting for someone to use an elaborate headdress to suggest a mohawk, and am not at all disappointed it was SJP. Hat Philip Treacy, dress Giles Deacon. Too bad she revealed some very lacy black underwear along with the over-the-knee plaid, but on second thought that is pretty punk of her. Don't listen to the haters, you commit and I love you for it!


Paloma Faith in Michael Cinco also committed, and love her pigeon tats (paloma=pigeon)


Lily Collins in Moschino. Like that she went for it with the makeup and hair, and the mix of studded leather jacket and that skirt is very dressed-up punk. Win.


Gwen Stefani in Maison Martin Margiela. I love that this top is risqué, as well as looks like a very elegant version of a scrap tied across her torso with ends going opposite ways. She again channels old Hollywood starlet in a new, sexy, dare I say slightly punky way. She looks great. 


The real coup was the fact that she changed into a more literal punky Atelier Versace gown with the same colour scheme. And Gavin Rossdale wore a Vivienne Westwood plaid suit and his hair in a hot bun and their combined look: WIN.



Madonna is 54. Enough said. Way to take a risk, and be yourself, and do the pantsless thing (in Givenchy) a million times better than Ke$ha or Christina Aguilera could hope to.


Ivanka Trump really surprised me here. She's a sexy mother (she is pregnant here), businesswoman, and just stunning woman. And she pulled her polished punk out, in Juan Carlos Obando, which is really weird to see but looks fab.


I am half in love with two Victoria's Secret alum and moms - Karolina Kurkova and Miranda Kerr.
Here is the former in Mary Katrantzou, and it works. So hot, she smoulders. And it's sorta rough and edgy and punky. 


And I will include the latter, in Michael Kors, but am disappointed - clear example of added spikes just cause you feel you should. I thought she would dirty herself up more. Different jewellery, makeup and hair would have really done the trick. We all know you are perfectly beautiful, time to add dimension Miranda!


Minka Kelly in Carolina Herrera. I am feeling this look and the shoulders.


Similar vibe with Florence Welch in Givenchy. Wish these women had tried harder with their hair!



These shoulders rock pretty hard too. Excellent use of spikes, which many others seemed to add just cause they felt they had to. Taylor Tomasi Hill with designer Thom Browne.


Done for now! I wish I could dress up like this...

No comments:

Post a Comment